About This Grand Life
This Grand Life is a personal finance simulator where you create a character, manage their money and help them achieve their life goals. Cruise your way through life with a silver spoon, or struggle endlessly to find employment as a convicted felon. You cannot control your past, but you can change your future. What choices will you make?
Inspired by Sierra's 1990 game Jones In The Fast Lane
, your life is divided into weeks. You try to accomplish as much as you can each week while economic conditions and special events create interesting choices to think about. Do I go to work this week, or take part in the Hot Dog Eating competition at the park? Should I spend time looking for a better job, or stick with my current job until economic conditions improve?
- Balancing Needs - Core game loop of balancing short-term needs such as hunger, fun, hygiene and health with long-term goals like happiness, wealth and education.
- Stylised City Maps - The game map is based on a real major city, thanks to satellite imagery from the European Space Agency!
- Education System - Study for degrees, diplomas and PHDs, required for some higher level occupations. Go to trade school or university.
- Promising Careers and Dead End Jobs - Prestigious career paths like Banking and Chef, plus lower level occupations like Janitor and Salesperson.
- Progressive Taxation System - The more you earn, the higher your tax bracket.
- Possessions - Fridges, TVs and Computers which help with your short-term needs.
- Collectibles - Collect stamps, coins and other rare items to achieve your long-term goals.
- Subscription Services - Sign up for services that make life easier, like grocery delivery or cable TV.
- Special Events - Home Robbery, Hotdog Eating Competition, Steam Sales and more.
- Detailed Economic Simulation - Inflation, interest rates and economic growth influence your investments and job competition.
- Investment and Debt - Borrow money to achieve your goals or invest for a future where you won't have to work. Minimum repayments and interest rates calculated realistically.
- Real Estate - Buy properties through an auction system. Live in it yourself or rent out your properties to tenants.
- Stock Market - Buy and sell shares on the stock market. Watch out for poor corporate management.
- Traits/Privilege System - Begin life with advantages like rich parents, or disadvantages like alcoholism.
- Freelance/Contractor Business - Hire employees, advertise your brand, complete jobs and grow your reputation.
- Tutorial - An interactive tutorial where your mother tells you to get a job.
- Moddability - Create your own careers, courses, locations, possessions and more. All content designed to be highly moddable.