About This Content
Designed for the German Luftwaffe by famed aircraft designer Kurt Tank in the late-1930s, the Fw -190 was the backbone of the Luftwaffe in both fighter and attack bomber roles. Powered by a large radial engine, the A version of the Focke-Wulf 190 was superior in many ways to the Bf 109s and Spitfires at the time of its introduction. In fact, this led to the development of the Mk.IX version of the Spitfire. The Spitfire LF Mk.IX and the Fw 190 A-8 make excellent counterparts for DCS World. The Fw 190 later evolved into the Fw 190 D-9, also available on DCS World.
Many of the Luftwaffe's aces racked up their impressive kill counts in the Fw 190 A due to its impressive fire power, excellent low to medium altitude performance, durability, and ease of flying. It saw action on both the eastern and western fronts where it was both respected and feared by allied pilots. Armament included two fuselage-mounted 13-mm MG 131 machine guns and four wing-mounted MG 151/20E 20mm cannons. The Anton could also be loaded with unguided rockets and bombs.
The A-8 version of the Fw 190 entered production in February 1944, and it was powered by a BMW 801 D-2 radial engine. In addition to excellent low- and medium-altitude performance, the engine was also very rugged. Along with the F-8 version, it also had thicker armor around the engine. The engine also received the C3 injection system that provided an emergency boost of 1,980 PS in short durations.
Key features of the DCS: Fw 190 A-8:
- Unmatched flight physics that allow you to truly feel what it's like to fly this legend.
- Highly detailed, six-degrees-of-freedom (6 DOF) cockpit.
- Interact with cockpit controls with your mouse.
- Accurate Fw 190 A-8 model, squadron markings, and weapons.
- Detailed modelling the Fw 190 A-8 instruments, weapons, engine, radios, fuel, and electrical systems.
- Battle the Spitfire LF Mk.IX and P-51D Mustang in single and multiplayer games.