About This Software
BASIC8 is an integrated Fantasy Computer
for game and other program development. You can create, share and play disks in a modern BASIC dialect, with built-in tools for editing sprite, tiles, map, quantized, etc. It's been a while since we used to enjoy coding and playing straightforward after a computer bootup. The goal of BASIC8 is bringing a sense of joy back from retro/vintage computing and gaming, also being quick at getting higher level stuff done for contemporary development for everyone.
Click "View the manual
" or "Visit the website
" on the right side of this page to get full details (it's above instead of right side on small mobile screen); or learn more
- Handy sharing via Workshop with built-in tools
- Disk can be made into standalone player with the Player Maker and HTML Maker
- Disk can be saved as "*.b8" file, "*.png", or text based for sharing
- Programmable in an easy to learn BASIC dialect with both retro and modern syntax
- Easy to use API for graphics, input, audio, and more other facilities
- Visualized built-in tools for editing sprite, tiles, map, quantized, etc.
- Visualized Wave Maker for making sound effect
- Easy to bring your own tools
- More features coming...
- Display: 160x128 pixels
- Audio: 2 music channels, 4 sound effect channels
- Code: BASIC (structured/prototype-based/functional)
- Graphics: up to 65535 drawing commands per cycle
- Palette: 16 colors with transparency support
- Sprite: up to 32x32 pixels per frame, up to 512 frames per sprite
- Tiles: 240 cels
- Map: up to 128x64 tiles per layer, up to 4 layers (including a layer of logic mark) per page
- Gamepad: 6 buttons for each pad (D-Pad + A/B), up to 8 players
- Keyboard and mouse: supported
- Case-insensitive; but no line number in BASIC8
- Built-in LIST and DICT
- Structured sub routine definition with the DEF/ENDDEF statements
- LAMBDA expression enhanced
- Prototype-based CLASS paradigm
- With both manually and automatically dispatched COROUTINE
- Importing multiple source files with the IMPORT statement
- Automatic releasing of referenced objects by GC
- Built-in libraries for File, IO, JSON, Matrix, Network, Web, etc.
- No limitation for file quantity (code, sprites, maps, etc.)
- More advantages to be discovered...